April 18, 2009
I need to take them more often.

This afternoon, my friend Critter and I finally made it over to the MOA to see the Dan Steinhilber exhibit. I busted out the italics because we've been trying to make this happen for almost a month. Alas, alack, we're both fabulously busy people, so it took a while for us to coordinate and set aside the time.

The exhibit was AWESOME! The whole idea was finding the extraordinary in the commonplace objects around us. For instance, one room had a huge pile of packing peanuts in the corner with a air blower situated in front of it. At sporadic intervals, the blower would kick on and the peanuts would fly around! Another cool one was this huge board covered entirely in duck sauce packets. I loved that the objects themselves weren't changed, but rather presented in a fashion different from how we're used to seeing them. The perspective was enough to make you really consider what an object really is. I highly recommend a viewing.


Duck Sauce


Packing Peanuts meet Air Blower


Balloon Sculpture

We also trangled around the Walter Wick exhibit. Who is Mr. Wick, you ask? Does the title I Spy... ring a bell? Yeah, he's that guy. All his pictures were set up BY HAND. The man doesn't use digital tricks to make his photographs awesome! Also a great exhibit.

In addition to all the loveliness of unexpected art, I enjoyed the wonderful company/commentary of Critter. He's a really cool guy :]

Consensus: I need to spend more time in museums this summer. I haven't been the Smithsonian in a while, so I'll probably have some DC adventures. Any takers?
posted by Gwennifer at 1:59 PM |



3 Comments:

At 4:21 PM, Blogger Abby said........
Sure, if you babysit my kids. But then we won't be going together you understand.

At first I thought you meant "I Spy" as in the old TV show. And I was going to be impressed that you'd watched it. Nevermind.

That duck sauce thing was crazy.
 

At 3:20 PM, Blogger Rachel Adventure said........
Hooray! I'm going to DC this summer!
 

At 12:43 PM, Blogger Kathy Busch said........
Takers? You betcha! Pencil me in!