March 19, 2009
Today is kind of a "Good News, Bad News" day, so we'll get the bad news out of the way first.

It isn't really news, but I still feel prompted to vent about it. I'm kind of baffled about how the idea of the criminality of the stay-at-home mom has crept into the BYU bubble. Please don't misunderstand me, there are plenty of women on campus who get their degrees, then become full-time mothers, but I'm starting to feel like I'm in the minority of girls who just don't want professional careers. I was racking my brain earlier to think of just ONE of my female friends who wasn't interested in having a career after college, and I came up with zero names.

Where does antagonism come into this, you say? It's the patronizing way other girls nod their heads and say, "Oh, that's cool" [when they clearly don't think so] when I tell them that my career goal is to not have one. Don't get me wrong, having a degree is a great safety plan in the event that I'll actually need it, but I don't want to graduate with a head full of thoughts about my career goals. If I could figure out how to use an English degree for some sort of stay-at-home job IN THE EVENT OF MY FAMILY NEEDING THE MONEY, then perfect! However, if there isn't any need for my employment, then I will be so happy to stay at home and raise my children. The most influencial women in my life are all stay-at-home moms, and they're probably some of the happiest women I know to boot!

I feel as if BYU is giving off really mixed vibes. Sure, we're in Mormon Mecca and all kinds of council is streamed to us firsthand from the Lord's anoited. BUT, boys and girls, EVERYONE should be career-oriented! What are you trying to tell me, BYU? I am supposed to regard or disregard the Proclamation? You tell me that I should get continuing education and be prepared to use my degree just in case I need it, yet you're grooming me to get ready for a Master's, Ph.D, whatever. Once you make up your mind about where women are supposed to be, let me know.

Ok, now that that is out of my system, on to the good news!

Yesterday was the first time I've been skiing in like three weeks! Becca had a free equipment rental a la The Starving Student Card and decided that she wanted to have a crack at one of the greatest sports ever invented. It was a beautifully warm day, which made the snow nice and slushy [just how I love it!]. Becca and I both had a good time traipsing around the slopes, even though it was her first time and I don't think I make for much of a teacher >.<

Post-esquiando, Grandma wanted this guy's number [we'll call him Gangle Machine], so I called the guy who I had gone out with on Friday [we'll call him Orange Box] to see if he had it. Fortunately, Orange Box had Gangle Machine's number, which I was able to give to Grandma. Grandma called Gangle Machine to see if he wanted to go see Macbeth with her today, but alas, he informed her that would be occupied at 7:30 this evening.

Back to my previous conversation with Orange Box, he'd mentioned that he and Gangle Machine were thinking about hanging out later and asked if I'd be interested in joining them. I said I would, hoping that a plan would materialize [since I'm a pretty big fan of Orange Box]. Much to my delight, Orange Box called back about 15-20 minutes later to inform me that he and Gangle Machine were going Laser Tagging. I enthusiastically agreed to go along, much pleased by the prospect of black lights and pseudo-firearms. Then--

Gangle Machine: ::Taking the phone from Orange Box:: Hey, Genevieve, could you ask [insert Grandma's real name here] if she'd like to come?

Grandma was pleased and agreed to join us.

All in all, we had a super good time. I'm not very good at Laser Tag, but it was fun all the same. Orange Box and I squared off against Gangle Machine and Grandma. They took 4th and 1st respectively while we took 2nd and 3rd. Buenos tiempos.

Then, upon arriving back at Wyview, Orange Box decided that an impromptu dance party was necessary, so we danced in the parking lot while other cars passing us questioned our mental health. After chitchatting for a while, we dispersed with mutually excellent feelings about the evening.

My #1 favorite thing about college is probably the random excursions that would otherwise not be possible if I were at home :]

Ok, I have to go back to campus, but I hope everyone is having a great Thursday!

P.S. I'd forgotten how the warm weather brings the particularly cuddly couples out of hibernation. I've seen like 10 couples lounging on each other/making out all over the grass today. Cute.
posted by Gwennifer at 2:55 PM |



8 Comments:

At 3:59 PM, Blogger Anne Katherine said........
you're totally not alone, I don't want a career
 

At 6:22 PM, Blogger Bonny said........
This comment has been removed by the author.
 

At 6:23 PM, Blogger Bonny said........
Orange Box sounds awesome. And I was amazed at the "cute" after the making-out couple sightings, instead of "gross". Either it was sarcastic or your laser tag excursion left you in a good mood. And stick to your guns/principles about the career thing! Your children will thank you. :)
 

At 6:43 PM, Blogger Shelby said........
pufwah, you toats know I'm going to be a career mom. do you know me so little? I just happen to have an excellent plan B that sometimes overshadows my mom-ness, but you toats better remember that I answered "mom" in RS that one time when they asked what we wanted to be when we grow up. Also, I was appauled at the amount of girls that day that DIDN'T say mom. Props to you grrrl.
 

At 6:51 PM, Blogger Ransom said........
Impromptu dance party FTW!

Don't expect the entire community of BYU to have a coherent opinion on the societal role of women. It is a confluence of forces and bubbles. The real BYU is inside your heart.
 

At 7:22 PM, Blogger Abby said........
I know I've told you this before, but you're old and forgetful so I'll tell you again. All I ever wanted was to be a SAHM. Sure, I talked about politics and law school and blah blah blah, but all I REALLY wanted was to be a mother. It was about my junior year in college when the shock hit me that I still wasn't married. I was appalled. And scared to death, too. I realized at that time that there was a distinct possibility that I was not going to get out of BYU hitched so I started to make some career plans. And so I did just that. Later, I found my husband and I quit work to stay home with our soon-to-be brood. But just because you want to be a SAHM, which is the absolute right thing for you to do, I don't care what anyone else says, doesn't mean that's what you're able to do right when you want to do it. So yes, it is wise to get career ideas in your head if for no other reason than to support yourself should your plans not go as expected. For all you know you may indeed get married within the next couple of years, but your husband may be in college much longer and you'll need to help support him until he graduates. Stuff like that. So don't make the mistake that I (and I can't imagine I was the only one) made in thinking I will never need to make career plans because everything will work out when I want it to work out. Sometimes things work out but in the Lord's time instead of yours. So go ahead and think about what you would do if you needed to earn good money (not bagging groceries for example); if you find you don't need it after all, excellent. You're all the more prepared should the need arise because you'll already have a plan in place should you need it.
 

At 7:30 PM, Blogger Rachel Adventure said........
As soon as the babies pop out the perspective all changes, just do what feels right by you.
 

At 12:16 AM, Blogger MoonyMoMo said........
Hey. Don't forget, BYU IS a competitive University. The whole point to rejecting some kids and accepting others is the process of "let's accept the people who will be the most successful so when they're rich, they will contribute to our programs"

They want you to make money so you can give back to the school.
It's a business after all. =P


And orange box dude sounds cool!