April 3, 2009
Mmm, that's still not getting old.

So, interesting happenings this week. To begin with, I've been sick--BOO! I hate being under the weather. I've gotten over the bulk of it at this point, but still. I was hoping to head into Conference weekend with a clean bill of health.

I finished Slumdog Millionaire on Tuesday. It certainly wasn't the best book I've ever read, but it was interesting. I'm currently embroiled in both Anna Karenina and The Wild Duck. I do have The Sound and The Fury, but pleasure is taking a backseat to responsibility until I'm all caught up from when I was ill.

Speaking of literary pursuits, the Literary Club I set up is super fun! Admittedly, we never exceed four people at our meetings, but I find the whole experience very uplifting. We discuss what we've been reading lately, make recommendations, do some Oscar Wilde Reader's Theatre. It's good times.

Wednesday was another Adventure Night! Grandma, Gangle Machine, Orange Box, and I went to the Orem Story Telling Guild's Second Annual Tall Tale Telling Contest...
  1. I didn't even know Orem HAD a Story Telling Guild.
  2. I'm totally trying to get in on that next year.

Going into it, we knew it was completely hit or miss. Fortunately, the bulk of the stories were laughter inducing, especially the stories that told us how to defeat ninjas [dry snow--the answer was so obvious all along!], grandmothers in water balloon wars, zombies who are after your PB & J, giant Jurrasic lake drain plugs WHILE being impaled by your steering wheel, and just about every merit badge a boy scout can throw at you. We all heartily enjoyed ourselves--except I was feeling a little intimidated by the child in the corner who kept growling at me. I have no idea what I did to him, but he was no fan of mine. As a whole, the evening was an EPIC SUCCESS.

Although I usually don't, I did pull a couple of April Fool's Day pranks this year. I successfully got my parents to believe that I was proposed to, then got all my roommates to believe that I'd met President Eyring in the library. I doubt it had anything to do with my lying capabilities--I'd just say that gullibility is at an all-time peak this year.

Oooh! So, yesterday after Literary Club, Nadin had invited some of our friends over to watch La Misma Luna [Under the Same Moon]. IT WAS SO GOOD! It told the story of a woman and her son living on opposite sides of the US-Mexico border. While she worked to get enough money for his citizenship, he lived with his Grandmother. Mom had been away for FOUR YEARS when Abuelita finally kicked the bucket. So, rather than go to live with his greedy uncle, Carlitos decided to cross the border and find his mom himself. While I generally don't condone illegal activities, this was a very touching movie. I lurved it.

Alright, with that, I need to go figure out when I shall depart to head up to Salt Lake. Have a great Conference weekend!

posted by Gwennifer at 10:10 AM |



2 Comments:

At 11:43 AM, Blogger Bonny said........
Hope you're feeling better. Perhaps you liked that movie so much because, as John and I used to enjoy telling you, you were actually adopted. I think it's time you know that your birth mother is from Mexico.
 

At 8:55 PM, Blogger Brian said........
¡Yo me encantó La Misma Luna! Nunca he llorado tanto de ver una pelicula.

Yo recomiendo "Nacido en Burdeles" en inglés.