May 17, 2009
Yeeeeeeah, I shouldn't complain, but I think I will!

So, after two or so weeks of searching, I found a job. Massive amounts of celebration, right? Initially. I was hired at F.Y.E. as a Sales Associate. Because of my total elation at the prospect of gainful employment, I didn't ask for vocational particulars.

Now, after two days of legitimately working, I've learned what exactly my job entails. I have to sell movies to people. People that are "just browsing" and do NOT want to be bothered. Having been one of those people many many many many times, I can appreciate how annoying I now am.

Since my nasty run-in with my new version of reality, people have been offering me a myriad of advice nuggets...

"You've just got to find your sales style!"
"Find a product your passionate about and really sell it!"
"Relate to people! People will respond better if you relate to them!"

While any or all of this might be true, I still can't get past the wall of resistance I've raised in my brain. I know I'm butting in on their lives, but it's what I'm paid for. I know they really don't care about promotions going on this week, but I'm paid to tell them. I know they know that I couldn't care less about the anime they're looking at, but I'm paid to pretend like cybernetic cowboys with machine guns for arms are AWESOME. Yep. This is my life now.

But, on the bright side, money is money. Hence my inability to legitimately complain.

Let's move on. What else has been happening this week? Oh, that's right...
  • I've been slowly plugging away at Devdas. I got fed up with Paheli, so I decided to give SRK another chance--as if he could run out of them! Anyway, the basic premise I've got so far is that Devdas [SRK] sends a letter to his mom telling her that he's returning home. He'd been in school for 10 years, so this is somewhat of a big deal. After much fussing and prepping, the household gets the news that Devdas has arrived, but that he's gone to see his best friend from childhood, Paro [Aishwarya Rai], first. She's been desperately pining for him since his departure, so this is certain to rock her foundations. That's all I've got right now, but it's been really good thus far!
  • Because we've confirmed that my grandmother isn't going to be pulling a Benjamin Button on us, we've started moving all of her stuff out of her old apartment. I went over to help my mom with the excavation at about midnight last night, which I was less than thrilled about at the time. However, it ended up working out really well, as the antiquity yield was very high. I came across a copy of Brave New World [one of my favorite books] for the 40's, a cloth-bound edition of Whitman's "Leaves of Grass", and a copy of The Book of Joyous Children, a book of poetry written completely phonetically! It's so cool! I also found a couple of reeeally old rings that my mom wants me to get appraised, but I might just hang on to them because they're old and pretty. All in all, a very successful evening.
  • My children's book project is coming along well. I've been reading through a pile of books that are famous for one reason or other and analyzing them to see just what makes them so great. So far, I've read some that really are awesome, some that aren't, and some that are just really weird. But, I'm also learning a lot about what children like to read, so it's all good. I'm just hoping that when the time comes for me to consider writing one of my own that I'll actually have something worth reading so that I don't end up in the "Why did someone take the time to write this garbage?" pile.

Other than that, nothing of much interest happened. I went on a date on Friday with my friend Wall Buster. We went ice skating and visited that wonderful establishment that's quickly becoming my new favorite--Five Guys. Why I stayed away from this marvel for so long is quite beyond me. It's perfect in just about every way. But, yeah, my date. It was fun, but only because we're friends. I don't think that romance will blossom out of this one any time soon.

OH OH OH, I almost forgot! Mizz Gypsy [a very dear friend of mine] comes home from school tomorrow for a couple weeks! Hooroo, someone to play with at last!

Ok, I need to go watch some Bollywood before I go to bed. Have a good evening!

P.S. My latest obsession: SPEED TETRIS! I found it online, and now I can't stop. It's wonderful.

P.P.S. I've come across some choice "Bad Music That People Think Is Awesome" samples that I feel the need to share with the world...

Affinity

Mayh3m

Hey, cruddy music, heyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!
posted by Gwennifer at 7:50 PM |



3 Comments:

At 1:35 AM, Blogger MoonyMoMo said........
ok. Stop.
Cybernetic cowboys with machine guns for arms ARE in fact very AWESOME!
Yup!

Oh and me and Ray feel your pain. We have to up sell dishes that taste nasty. And when people are standing outside the store, we go out and talk to 'em. Fun...
 

At 12:06 AM, Blogger Shelby said........
which is why I'm so stoked for Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi! He's the definition of dork, then dork trying to be cool!
 

At 5:59 AM, Blogger Abby said........
I love Five Guys, but they cook everything in peanut oil. And that will murder my child. Such a shame.