May 6, 2009
Well, folks, I've been home for roughly two weeks. Before I came home, I imagined that I'd already have secured a job and would be considering how to best save for a set of bagpipes.

As the case is, I've seen three Bollywood movies, submitted at least 15 job applications, and gone through a case and a half of caffeine-free Dr Pepper. The job market is so stiff right now! Honestly, all these places are "accepting applications, but not currently hiring". What's the point of accepting my application if you're not going to give me a job?! Seriously! Don't patronize me, just tell me WHEN you're anticipating offering more shifts! And why is everyone waiting so late to start summer hiring? I'm here NOW, shouldn't I get the job NOW rather than the beginning of June?! I hate job hunting.

The sad thing is that if I'd remained in Utah, I'd probably already have a job. This lady that Animal Advocate introduced me to said she'd put in a good word for me with an opera company in Salt Lake. Wouldn't that have been something? I could be lurking around backstage--correction, getting PAID to lurk around backstage all summer! Instead, I'm looking into a volunteer open house at the Annapolis Summer Garden Theatre. I can't really complain, it's a theatre and it's something to do, but something that pays would be even nicer, you know?

So, if anyone can hook me up with employment, DO IT. I have a car now, so I can drive places!

Anyway, I suppose I can give my review of the last two Bollywood films I've seen recently [that way, I can take five from griping about my pseudo-miserable life--it's really not all that bad]. In the past week, I've seen--

KABHI KHUSHI KABHIE GHAM...


KUCH KUCH HOTA HAI

I'd heard about the first one a while ago from a few of my friends pre-Bollywood obsession. After seeing it, I have to say that I wasn't a big fan. Sure, it had both Shahrukh Khan AND Hrithik Roshan [with the added bonuses of Amitabh Bachchan, Kajol, AND Kareena Kapoor], along with a bundle of fun moments/dance numbers. But, as I was afraid of from the beginning, the story didn't resonate with me. Perhaps it's my Western upbringing, but this whole deal with "Lose your parents and you lose EVERYTHING!" just doesn't add up in my mind. Don't get me wrong, I love my parents, but if we ever somehow fell out, I don't think I'd spend every day choking back tears while avoiding huge pictures of them on my wall. Again, I know parental respect is way more emphasized in Eastern culture, which is probably why I didn't really get the movie, but all the same. Both the parents and the children were waaay too intense for my liking.

The second one proved to be a MUCH more positive experience. Grandma recommended this one, so I decided to give it a shot. After the fact, I learned that hordes of other people had seen it too--and for good reason. This movie is awesome. Admittedly, I was getting tired of the whole "Oh, hey, we're in college" thing in the beginning, but once it got to the romantic complications of the story, I was totally hooked. In my opinion, it was a perfect blend of East and West [except for a few moments when the Westernness of it all was just a little overwhelming]. Plus, we're talking SRK and Kajol in the 90's! Awesome stuff, my friends.

As I've probably mentioned, up next is either Lagaan or Diwale Dulhania Le Jayenge again. Wooo.

Oh, something non-Bollywood related for a moment would be nice. I did back-to-back institute this week. On Tuesday, I went to my mom's class in Glen Burnie. We played Gatorball afterwards, which is pretty beast if you haven't tried it. Tonight took me to the mysteriously exotic land of College Park, where I hung out with Chrissy and some of my friends from last year. If I can somehow sustain gas money, I could be making this doubleplay a regular feature of my week.

On that note, it's almost three and I should be in bed. Have a lovely week everyone!

posted by Gwennifer at 11:57 PM |



2 Comments:

At 7:30 AM, Blogger Ransom said........
Dude, gatorball was, like, the official unofficial ball game of my Mission. I wonder if you guys play it the same as we did.
 

At 10:13 AM, Blogger Abby said........
I offered you a one-time paying gig for the 25th, if you recall. Don't forget.

I was also driving behind a Schwann delivery truck the other day and they said they were looking for drivers RIGHT NOW. So give them a call.

Also, totally unrelated to a paying thing, when you go back to school have you also considered joining an improv troupe? With your humor and love of acting, I bet it'd be a great fit for you.