May 2, 2009

So, I found Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam last night on Youtube. I'd been wanting to watch it because a) Aishwarya Rai is the leading lady and b) Grandma found this awesome song called "Nimboodah", which happened to be in this particular flick.

As per usual when I watch these movies, I was wonderfully surprised. Sure, Salman Khan does overract somewhat when he's cranking out the tears, but that aside, I'm never quite ready for how much my heart gets wrenched around by these things! Honestly, if Hollywood were to produce anything like this, it would be complete and utter cheese [no pun intended]. But, for some inexplicable reason--well, maybe the dancing--these movies make me such an emotional mess! I get so attached to these characters and I'm willing to sit through three hours of mad hot Hindi mush just to see what happens. I love Bollywood!

Ok, so, the plot. Nandini [Aishwarya] is the daughter of a famous singer. Said singer has attracted the attention of a young musician named Sameer [Salman] who wants to learn the art of singing from the heart. Initially, Nandini hates Sameer because it's Diwali and she has to give up her festively decorated bedroom so that this roustabout guest will have a place to sleep. However, as is inevitable, they fall in love despite his bedroom stealing designs. Then, tragedy strikes, for when the time comes for Sameer to ask for Nandini's hand in marriage, her parents find out that they've been doing scandalous things like looking at each other and smiling for the past eight months. With that, he's thrown from the house and forced to swear to never see Nandini again.

Enter Vanraj [Ajay Devgan]. Actually, he'd seen Nandini earlier in the movie, but that's beside the point. Vanraj is the quiet sort of awkward lawyer type who wants to marry Nandini. Their parents check their horoscopes, see that they match, and set up the wedding immediately. Nandini, still completely hung up over Sameer, dazedly marries Vanraj. After a while of being married to a zombie, Vanraj eventually gets it that she's in love with someone else. Because he loves her so much, he decides to take her to Italy to be reunited with Sameer.

Will Nandini find Sameer? Can Vanraj let the woman of his dreams get away? Can two Indians who barely speak English make their way around the Italian [actually Hungarian] countryside without getting horribly and irrevocably lost? WATCH THE MOVIE AND FIND OUT, FOR PETE'S SAKE!

No, really, it's an awesome movie. I loved it. Next up on my list is probably Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham because I like to do everything Grandma does. Well, it'll either be that or Diwale Dulhania Le Jayenge again because I'm a sucker for 90's Shahruhk Khan. Mmm, SRK, you stud.

OH, and I saw my high school's production of Annie last night. Let's just say that it made me very nostalgic for "The Golden Age" of Arundel Theatre that I consider the class of '07 to be the tail-end of. Ah, well, it was fun all the same.

Happy Saturday!
posted by Gwennifer at 12:08 PM |



2 Comments:

At 12:42 PM, Blogger Shelby said........
Ok, so if you want 3 hours of tear your heart out goodness: Kuch Kuch Hota Hai. No jokes, Karan Johar knows how to rip out your heart and put it back in again. I've watched this one 3 times and it gets me everytime!!!! K3G is up next, same director. Shah Rukh is a fine piece of man meat that isn't afraid to cry or be a goof, beat that Brad Pitt, oh wait, you can't. PS the one you've seen w/ Shah Rukh and Kajol (my favorite heroine so far) is still playing in India! It's been playing for 11 years!
 

At 11:19 AM, Blogger enricofam said........
I love reading your blog!! I dont know when you are back in utah but we need to get together and play some serious mafia! keep smiling