March 6, 2009
So, it's official. At 6:15 AM on March 5th, 2009, I reached the bright and shining age of 20. It's hard to believe that I've just completed two decades of my life, but apparently, I have.

Not that anyone REALLY needs to know, but here's what my special day looked like...

Upon midnight striking, my birthday was heralded in by Nadin and Becca sitting on me. Why they thought this was a good idea is a mystery to me.

Post-trauma, I woke up around 9:30 to finish some homework that hadn't reached completion the night before. Much to my delight, Facebook was already awash with birthday wishes and general bliss from the hearts of my dear friends. What can I say? I'm a sucker for electronic affection.

Anyway, after I got ready for school, I went out to Nadin's car to get a ride to school. Just as we were about to leave, a mailman walks up to us...

Mailman: Are either of you in 84?
Genevieve: Why, yes, we both are.
Mailman: Are either of you...Busch?
Genevieve: That's me!

It turns out that my mom had rush delivered a birthday card to me so I'd have one on the actual day. It sang mariachi music and made me so happy I was fit to burst.

In my first class, someone actually brought this cheesecake dish--not for my birthday, but just because. Cool, huh? This girl also made me a birthday crown because she's cool like that.

After class is where we hit a snag in the road. Remembering that I owed gas money to Grandma and Nadin, I went to the Utah Community Credit Union ATM. Upon confirming all my information, I printed a receipt--but received no money. Finding myself most perplexed, I tried to perform another transaction, but the machine cancelled it! Annoyed, I went to a computer and checked to make sure the dumb thing hadn't withdrawn money without giving it to me. Seeing that all my money was still there, I decided to just get cash back next time I went shopping and went to get some lunch.

After ordering what promised to be a most excellent Caeser Salad Wrap, I prepared to pay. However...

L&T Girl: Um, it says your card is declined.
Genevieve: ::Thinking the ATM must have done this:: What?
L&T Girl: Let me try it again...
::Four or five attempts later...::
L&T Girl: Do you have any other valid forms of payment?

Positively fuming and with no other form of payment that would cover the cost, I went to Taco Bell instead and got something with the $1.30 I had on my signature card. As I sat down with my substantially less exciting lunch, I received a call from my mother...

Mom: So, guess what just came in the mail for you.
Genevieve: ...?
Mom: A new debit card.

Apparently, I had paid for something once upon a time. The database that my information had been entered into was hacked, causing all the cards that had paid in a certain time period to be cancelled. New cards were reissued from there. Thanks for not telling me beforehand, Tower!

After that debocal, I went to my other classes. My last class of the day dictated that I give my presentation on Wilfred Owen, which actually went really well! My clip of "War" by Edwin Starr didn't play, so I had to sing it myself. Much to my relief, the teacher thought the improvisational touch was awesome rather than revolting.

Once I had FINALLY finished classes, I hung around in the library before heading down to the RB for my classification match to get on the intramural tennis ladder. The match itself went splendidly--8-3, baby! However, this should be known...

Girl I played: So, how long have you been playing?
Genevieve: Well, since I was six...and high school, things like that...how about you?
Girl I played: I took a beginner class over the summer.
Genevieve: Oh!...well, nice to meet you!

I mean, I knew I was better than this girl, but come on! One beginner class? Oh well, I guess I should just take victories when I can and quit complaining.

After Grandma picked me up from campus, we all had delicious Oreo pie that Becca made for me. Thanks, Becca!

Then, per birthday wish decorum, we played Mao and Craphead [sorry, that's what it's called] because Grandma had promised me that she would play with us on my birthday [she doesn't like cards]. Wooo! Post-mortem, Nadin decided that another part of my birthday wish could be picking out any movie I wanted from Blockbuster because she had a free rental. Therefore--

I PICKED VITUS! It was awesome! I highly recommend it to everyone.

The birthday fun continues tomorrow, as Grandma and I [we need to find someone else to tag along] are planning to go visit my Uncle Saj in Salt Lake for some delish Pakistani cooking.

Thanks for the birthday wishes! For the 24 or so hours I've been 20, it's been pretty grand :]
posted by Gwennifer at 12:15 PM |



4 Comments:

At 6:11 PM, Blogger Ransom said........
Happy electronic post-birthday wishes!

(cuz blogs need birthday love, too)
 

At 6:56 PM, Blogger Abby said........
Holy crap. I'd love to wish you a happy birthday, but at this point it seems rather unnecessary. I don't think I've ever received that much love on a birthday. Like, ever, ever, ever.
 

At 8:26 PM, Blogger Bonny said........
HAPPY BIRTHDAY AGAIN! (More electronic love for you.) So sorry about the ATM frustration. Glad you got the new card ok. Have fun at Uncle Sajid's!
 

At 7:11 PM, Blogger Rachel Adventure said........
Better late than never?

Happy Birthday. Sorry about your electronic money situation.