February 23, 2009
As is tradition for me this time of year, I watched the Oscars this evening with my roommates and some friends. Much to my chagrin, Doubt was left with nothing.

However, much to my delight, Slumdog Millionaire got 8 out of the 10 nominations it was up for! Admittedly, I haven't seen it, but I'm really pushing for it to be in International Cinema next year.

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
did pretty well for itself, even though I heard it was pretty dull. I'll probably see it at some point for the sake of being part of the general populous.

Mickey Rourke was scary the whole time. The Wrestler also left with nothing, even with Marisa Tomei.

Frost/Nixon actually sounds really interesting. Way to be, Frank Langella.

WAY TO GO, KATE WINSLET! After roughly 20 years of receiving Oscar Nomination shaft, she finally won for The Reader. Not going to lie, I was very happy for her.

Speaking of the shaft, I'm interested to see what Anne Hathaway will do next to score some critical acclaim in the form of a golden statuette. If hardcore drugs in Rachel Getting Married didn't do it, where is she to go now?

Oh, and does anyone know anything about Tropic Thunder? Robert Downey Jr.'s nomination is still blowing my mind after the atrocity that was Ironman.

As a whole, I'm looking very forward to hunting down some of the documentaries/short animated features this year. Some of them looked AWESOME.

Now we come to the portion of the evening that I have a bone to pick with: Milk.

Let's start by stating a couple of things that I would like to make known:
  1. I have no problem with homosexuality existing. It does.
  2. I have no problem with homosexual couples. There is legitimate love between same sex couples that there is between any heterosexual couple.
  3. I believe that every couple regardless of orientation is entitled to the same legal rights and protections. I believe that couples that have civil unions should be able to file joint tax returns and have access to each other's possessions in the event of one person's death.
  4. I believe that everyone is entitled to the pursuit of happiness and equality in this country.
HOWEVER, when you have Mr. Sean Penn up on the stage telling me that I will hang my head in shame for having supported Proposition 8, I get really upset. The fact that this man, who only has a say in front of millions of viewers because he won some award, is making derisive statements about my moral decisions infuriates me. As if he or anyone in Hollywood is a moral pillar! Hollywood is Sodom and Gomorrah if I've ever seen it! I only watch the Oscars to commemorate great films, not to have some stuffed up actor insult my beliefs.

Before our good Mr. Penn mounted his soapbox, the writer of Milk took the stage to accept his bit of gold. Rather than just saying "I'd like to thank the Academy", he begins to share the details of his life story: "I was raised in a conservative Mormon home." He ended his little history by dedicating his award to all the kids out there who had been rejected by their CHURCHES and communities for being true to themselves. First of all, what does your Mormon upbringing have to do with anything? Unless you were bringing it up to say that your parents weren't the horrible villainous harpies Mormons are made up to be, why don't you skip the formalities, scream "IN YOUR FACES, MORMONS!", then step down? You weren't being subtle, you weren't being tasteful, and you certainly weren't painting an accurate portrait of the current Mormon attitude towards homosexual couples.

I guess what I'm so steamed about is this idea of using the podium as a soapbox. Why can't award ceremonies just be a ceasefire? If I wanted to get into another debate about this, I can do it all over the Internet. Personally, I watch the Oscars to celebrate the history of film. People like Sean Penn sour the whole thing for me by insulting me and telling me that my opinions are less valid than his [which conveniently follow the popularity tide].

Overall, it was a good year for the Oscars. I could have done without all the "CONSERVATIVES SUCK!" mudslinging from the Milk party, but what else is new? Quite frankly, for all the love the gay rights platform is preaching, they sure are dishing out a lot of hate.

Alright, I have homework to attend to. Good night!
posted by Gwennifer at 1:42 AM |



5 Comments:

At 5:55 AM, Blogger Bonny said........
Nice recap. We didn't watch them yet, but have them DVR'd. Question. Because you believe same sex couples should have the same legal rights as any other couple, why did you support Prop 8? How is giving all the legal rights of a married couple different from actually legalizing marriage? I know you're much more embroiled in the whole Prop 8 thing than I am over here on the east coast, so I was just wondering.
 

At 9:14 AM, Blogger Gwennifer said........
That's my point. If the distinction is so minimal and same sex couples have all the same rights, why does the moral issue of marriage have to come into to? If they have all the same rights as married couples without being deemed "marriage", then I don't see what the problem is.

I guess I think that on legal footing we should all be equal, but when dealing with a God-designed institution that orthodoxy should prevail and the title should belong solely to heterosexual couples.
 

At 1:52 PM, Blogger Abby said........
Hey, thanks for stealing the post I WAS JUST ABOUT TO WRITE. I knew I shouldn't have read yours first. Now I look like a loser. And yet, that won't stop me from writing my own bit on the same fricking thing. I just won't look original, thanks to you. I am now sticking my tongue out at you. So take that.

According to Eric D. Snider, the only film critic I trust, Slumdog was a PG-13 if he'd ever seen one. The R rating was gratuitous and completely unwarranted. If that helps. Also, if it helps, I saw Tropic Thunder. I would not recommend it based on content alone, namely language and hilarious violence. I laughed so hard I cried at that film, especially at the most violent portion because it was so completely over the top that it would have been impossible to do anything but (well, I suppose you could have thrown up, but given the choice I would hope one would choose to laugh instead). It seriously was one of the funniest movies I've ever seen. But again, not recommending it. :) Anyway, I'm not entirely sure why Downey was nominated, other than he played his designed role particularly well. Honestly, I imagine a few comedic actors could have pulled it off just as well. He was convincing, but not so much that I forgot he was Robert Downey, Jr. pretending to be a black dude. So. Take that for what it's worth. Maybe they were just trying to prove that doing a comedy role can occasionally be good for your career as well. Or maybe they were hoping all the positive affirmations would help keep Downey out of jail for two more months.
 

At 12:06 AM, Blogger Kathy Busch said........
Nice recap, sweetie. I googled Sean and Robin, and learned that they are indeed still married, which makes Sean's saying nothing about her during his acceptance speech even more disappointing. They filed for divorce in December 2007, but then changed their minds. According to an Oscars recap online article issued today, they're still married. Love you!!!!!
 

At 1:53 AM, Blogger Rachel Adventure said........
It's about time somebody could say it... Refreshing. And saved me work for doing it myself likewise.