September 24, 2009
I probably don't mention it very often, but many of my more brilliant ideas are born when I've spent time in deep [or horrendously shallow] conversation with Grandma. A couple of days ago, one such conversation occurred which brought forth a particularly idea that I'm now going to share with you.

Grandma made the observation that her rather difficult German class has the ability to either make or break her day. If she was able to converse and understand the material, the rest of her day was great. However, if she couldn't summon the words to speak fluently or got corrected by the rest of the class while answering a question, the rest of her day seemed doomed to ruin.

While I initially found this to be somewhat melodramatic, I thought for a moment about my own experiences in Spanish classes I've taken over the years. I then remembered that the same thing happened to me all the time. When I was on the ball, shooting around all my ideas fluently en espaƱol, my day was BRILLIANT. However, when I couldn't find just the right word and the class would have to wait five minutes for me to answer one question, the day was lousy.

Both of us agreed that this was not the case with any of our other classes. Our other classes could be rotten, but our days weren't destroyed because of it. That's when I realized that the ability to communicate in our own language is of no special merit. However, being forced to communicate in a language in which we have a limited grasp can be a very daunting experience. Are you ready for the thesis:

When we lose the ability to communicate effectively, we essentially lose our humanity.

That's right, folks. Language classes dehumanize us. The inability to say what we're thinking or feeling at any moment we choose terrifies us to absolutely no end. Have you ever gone a day without speaking?

At my high school, we have a pre-Prom tradition of "killing" particularly loud or popular seniors for a day so that people can see what it would be like to lose their friends to drunk driving [complete with mangled car on the front lawn of the school and everything]. In case none of you had noticed, I have no concept of an "inside voice", hence my inclusion in this clever little activity. The result? Maybe one of the most miserable days of my life. I was absolutely BURSTING with thousands of things I wanted to say, but I didn't have the ability. My spirits sunk faster than a man jumping off a bridge with bricks stuffed in his pockets.

I not only felt dead, I felt subhuman. What's the difference between humans and lower order animals? Sure, reasoning, but what's reasoning if you can't communicate your brilliance? What if you've found the cure for cancer, but the only people you can tell only speak Swahili? What good are you to anyone if you can't express yourself at all?

I thought this was a pretty interesting thought process, personally. Whether or not anyone agrees
with me is entirely beside the point.
Any thoughts? Share, please!
Happy Thursday!

posted by Gwennifer at 10:10 PM |



4 Comments:

At 12:46 AM, Blogger Ransom said........
Dehumanize? Um, no. How about learning a foreign language DOUBLE-HUMANIZES us! By learning Spanish, you can have as much karma as siamese twins!
 

At 9:02 PM, Blogger Kathy Busch said........
I agree, Gen, that being rendered unspeakable gives us the karma of, say, a Siamese cat. Dad and I watched Ken Burns' new film last night on "The National Parks". John Muir, a famous naturalist, featured prominently in it. He loved solitude, i.e. getting out in nature by himself. When I way younger, I saw myself that way, and did indeed enjoy solitude far more than I do now. I crave human companionship now, and that which I crave most about human companionship is the verbal exchange. I agree that speaking, even more than reasoning, makes us human, and is also a, if not the, most vital element of sociality in the animal kingdom. Good post!
 

At 11:48 AM, Blogger Abby said........
While I agree that the ability to communicate verbally obviously sets us apart from the animals, it is not that alone which makes us "human." Or rather, not speaking doesn't make us less human.

This is possibly difficult for someone with your personality to understand, but not everyone likes to talk. Recall that there are two different kinds of folks on earth: introverts and extroverts. You are decidedly and extrovert. Extroverts crave human contact and communication. Extroverts thrive on interaction with others and not having enough can lead to anxiety and depression. The opposite is true for introverts. Introverts are exhausted by continued contact with others and rejuvinate only by being alone with their thoughts. Each group of people can only stand so much of what drives the other and they gain energy through what their counterparts see as draining that same energy. So for someone like you, being unable to speak and/or interact with others is indeed a trial and would take its toll very quickly. For an introvert like me, I specifically avoid the contact you seek because it's so draining. I interact because I have to, because it's expected of me. And also because I do have some friends that I like to communicate with from time to time. But by and large, I enjoy being by myself. I gain energy by being alone and not speaking to others. So not speaking doesn't dehumanize everyone--it only feels that way to extroverts. The opposite is true for the other half of the population (it's fun learning about people who aren't like you, isn't it?).

FYI, my son Peanut can't speak a word and yet he communicates his needs and wants very well despite this. But because he can't yet form words does that make him less human than the rest of us?

I daresay that the one true thing that sets us apart from the animals is something far deeper, like a conscience. Deep stuff like that.
 

At 4:30 PM, Blogger nadejla said........
So true about the communication thing. I think that's why missionaries have such a hard time at first, but things seems to always get better for them once they learn the language well. Learning a new language is daunting, but just imagine, once you learn it your communication and thus your human connection becomes even greater. We had a chapter of this in my Screenwritting class (not language, but the need for connection). Cool stuff.
:D