August 20, 2009
True Story:

I'm delivering my newspapers today. It's been going as well as could be expected, considering the heat usually only found in the Serengeti that decided to settle over Crofton today. At one point, I have to leave the car and toss one of the papers up to the steps to the door--

TANGENT: I hate people that live in elevated houses! Do you really need 7000 stairs leading up to your door!? Does it give you psychological satisfaction knowing that anyone who wants to visit you needs to be packing oxygen and a three day supply of freeze-dried food just to knock on your door!? JERKS!

Anyway--

I approach this lofty house when I notice some movement by one of the cars parked in from of said palace. Looking over, I see more furtive movement. Feeling rather nervous, as people who creep about in broad daylight tend to make me feel, I speed up my walking ever so slightly, hoping the creeper would leave me be. However, no sooner had I looked forward again than more movement caught my eye. Determined to see my potential attacker, I look all the way to my left and behold--

An 11 year old boy wearing a gorilla mask.

Obviously, I didn't ask the boy how old he was. Approaching him in any way would have been viciously creepy on my part. He did, however, seem to be around 11. Anyway, he continues to creep around the car, watching me through the eyes of his apish guise. Rather than feeling comforted about knowing what I was up against, my anxiety increases as I begin to imagine what a child in a gorilla mask might do to an innocent newspaper carrier in the middle of the day. Feeling it would be best to throw the darn paper and run away, I do just that--only slightly more subtly than running. I may have ended up walking feverishly rather than sprinting like I wanted to.

Fortunately, the boy couldn't sense my terror, so he tears the mask from his 11 year old face and bounds up the stairs into his house. Needless to say, the unexpected nature of the event still has me trembling as I'm writing this.

SO, one week before I return to Yew-Taw. I suppose because I can't really think of anything else to say right now, I'll highlight some of my accomplishments this summer, shall I?
  1. I reread the entire Harry Potter series in a little under a month. I would have gone through them much faster, but employment slowed me down a tidge.
  2. Oh yeah, I got a job for the last three weeks of the summer.
  3. Earlier this summer, I secured employment with a company doomed to failure. That was cute.
  4. I produced a number of creative writing pieces that have been posted and reviewed. I've also earned a reputation on the site where I post as an extremely pretentious, yet extremely competent editor.
  5. I've taken steps toward starting an additional minor in Editing. This will make me an English major with a double minor in Theatre Arts and Editing. Mmm, I love me some right-brained goodness.
  6. I've returned to my golden brown goodness that had been unceremoniously seized from me by that heinous desert in which I attend school.
  7. I've purchased a number of worthwhile items, such as a bubble umbrella and Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi. I'm so cool.
Other than that, summer's been a whole lot of chill. I've gotten to spend a lot of time with my nephews, which is always good. The majority of my old high school friends have now opted to participate in a more scintillating social network through a series of illegally obtained bottles rather than hang out with me, but it's all good. At least I don't have a slew of drunk pictures strewn across Facebook, right?

Right. I'm great.

Alright, that's about it. I mostly just wanted to tell the gorilla mask story before I forgot about it.

Happy Weekend!
posted by Gwennifer at 11:55 PM |



1 Comments:

At 9:02 PM, Blogger John and Trina Busch said........
THEY LET STEVIE BACK!! What do you mean "you dont know what that means"?! that means another disaster of a bridge, that means more "are you kidding me's" that means you missed a great "cakes"! actually it was disapointing cause her assistant wasnt playing her little game, so it was as bad as it could have been.