November 24, 2009
Alright, so Odyssey has been yammering about In-N-Out Burger ever since freshmen year. So when I heard news that Orem was going to be acquiring one of these California-tastic offerings, I was pretty interested in finding out if this burger joint was worth ALL the hype it had been receiving from the mouths of just about every person from California I've ever met. Therefore, on Tuesday, while I was taking my weekly sojourn up to Orem for my chanter lesson, I decided that I would pay the establishment a visit. I also hadn't eaten all day so that I could really appreciate the whole experience.

For one this, In-N-Out is an extremely deceptive name, since my experience at the restaurant was anything but In-N-Out. I waited in line for 10 minutes and probably waited at least another 15 for my food. I knew to expect this, but it was still a little excessive I felt. Anyway, upon receiving my two cheeseburgers and fries [both Animal Style] and the accompanying strawberry shake, I had to go eat outside because every old person felt THEY were entitled to chair inside instead of me. The nerve of that demographic.

Upon tasting the food, I will share with you my first thought verbatim:

"This is it? It tastes just like Scoreboard Grill."

The burgers, even with Thousand Island dressing and caramelized onions, was astoundingly mediocre. The fries would have probably been better without the cheese, dressing, and onions. The best part of the meal was the milkshake, which I'll admit was wonderfully thick and tasty. However, as a whole, I have to say that most of the ardent love that Californians show for the restaurant is probably a regional thing.

Overall, if I really wanted a burger in Orem, I'd probably just head over to--

I know people could easily accuse me of regionalism with this one, but I honestly believe that Five Guys sells better products. For one thing, the burgers are much more customizable. I love me some good toppings on a burger. For another, the Five Guys cajun fries--which they give you TONS of--stomp the bland little boxes of In-N-Out fries.

And, I suppose if you really wanted the best reason, I'd have to say that anything coming out of D.C. originally [or Virginia, whatever] is going to probably be the best thing ever. Just saying.

So, In-N-Out: not so much. I probably wouldn't eat there again unless all my friends were there one night and I were starving. However, I did notice that if you double refrigerate the burgers, they do taste much better. Fresh, they're alright. Once refrigerated, somewhat better. Twice refrigerated, it finally starts to be quite tasty. But, there's a distinct possibility that that's just my weird palate.

Anyway, I should probably stop writing and go watch football with Snootch. I'm in Roy for the rest of the week and Thanksgiving is going to be awesome when all of this scrumptious food is done cooking. Happy Thanksgiving, kiddos!

posted by Gwennifer at 6:17 PM |



2 Comments:

At 6:34 PM, Blogger Rick Bass said........
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8410qUT4QtA&fmt=
 

At 3:54 PM, Blogger Rick Bass said........
Thank you for the wonderful words of wisdom. I will definitely say that you will be there "in spirit" because of spatial differences. I will see you next month when you arrive back to motherland.