August 23, 2008
Tonight marked my final round of Commando in Maryland this summer. Considering the fact that I brought this blessed game from BYU to my Womb State, it was kind of like saying goodbye to the kids as they toddle off to their first sleep-away camp. Oh, won't that be an adventure...

Anyway, weird sentiments aside, I know I've made a great many teenage boys [and a couple of adventurous Glamazons to be] extremely happy. After all, this game is pretty fantastic.

Part Hide-and-Seek, part Baseball, and all battle scars, Commando is basically the greatest game I've ever played. It's relatively simple:

  • There is, in fact, a Commando [ie. "It"]. This Commando picks a vantage point in whatever area you're playing in, and picks bases from this point [they're not allowed to move from that spot during any point of the game]. Generally, the Commando picks three or four bases, which can be anything from a tree to a bench to a parking space line. ANYTHING.
  • Once the bases are established, the Commando closes their eyes and counts down from a number [generally between four and ten]. While the Commando is counting down, everyone else playing is running like the dickens towards the bases. However, when the Commando stops counting, their eyes are opened and they're now searching for anyone who hasn't successfully hidden themselves. If you're spotted by the Commando, you go back to the vantage point and start ALL OVER AGAIN! If you evade being spotted, you are safe to continue. Once the Commando has sufficiently combed the area, they begin counting again.
  • The object of the game is to tag ALL the bases [in one particular order] without being seen. Once this is accomplished, one must tag the Commando without being seen in order to become the next Commando.

Not at all confusing.

I remember learning about Commando for the first time. I was taking a walk one night on campus with a couple of my roommates. We were walking by the JFSB when all of a sudden, like four people dressed in black pop out of thick air [since thin air really couldn't hold a person], running like the PoPo caught the scent of the Border on their clothes. Curious, we found the source of the Ninjacity...thus, Commando was discovered.

Since then, I've been an unstoppable Commando enthusiast. If you don't believe me, I'll show you some of my battle scars from dropping on asphalt, jumping into thorn bushes, falling down hills, and other such daring feats. Seriously, just ask.

posted by Gwennifer at 8:08 PM |



1 Comments:

At 12:08 AM, Blogger Ransom said........
Actually, I always considered everyone else the commandos. And whoever's "it" is the lookout. Because, I mean, running around and hiding are very commandoey things to do, right? Rather more so, I'd say, than standing still, and looking, or even counting down from moderately small numbers.