August 16, 2008
You get pegged by people who think you have too much of a life. Thanks bunches, friends. I wasn't aware that my sparse updating upset you that much.

As it is, I just got back from a week at Bethany Beach with the fam, including John, Trina, and their adorable spudlet, Melanie. On top of an exciting week of beaching, eating, napping, and way too much Edward Cullen, I just got home from a rigorous game of Commando, so a more thorough update will have to take place tomorrow. I honestly think I'm about to experience kidney implosion due to immense exhaustion.

Until then, adieu, Fair Readers. You will hear from me again soon...ish.

[August 18th, 11:11 AM (make a wish!)]

Ok, so it's not exactly the tomorrow of the last time I posted. At least I'm here! But, before I launch into my promised description of my entire last week, I'd like to ask the blogging world a question:

Why do people make wishes on specific symmetrical times? I mean, what is so special about 11:11 or 3:33 or 9:99? If you make a wish, does the OCD fairy flutter down and give you the desire to straighten things? Do you start looking for the balance in everyday objects, eventually leading to finding balance within yourself, thus planting in your soul the desire to become a Buddhist monk? Whatever this mystical time is supposed to do, it seems awfully silly to me.

Now that we've taken care of the ludicrous portion of our program, we can now move on to today's topic:

MY TRIP TO THE BEACH

On Friday last, my dear brother, along with his lovely wife, Trina, and their two-month old daughter, Melanie, touched down at BWI. My mom and I retrieved them before I party harty'D over to Chipotle for the night. This was somewhat distressing, as the entire evening at home was dedicated to a slew of family and friends teeming to see our guests. While everyone else was snarfing pizza, I was asking every customer if they were POSITIVE that they didn't want anything to drink with their burrito. However, as luck would have it, my manager is a good person and let me off early so I could go to the church and play basketball. I was one mad hot mess by the time that evening was over.

The next day, we packed half the house into three cars, and began the long pilgrimage to Bethany Beach. The contents of our caravan included Mom, Dad, myself, John, Trina, Melanie, Bonny, Ryan, Grayson, Thatcher, and a container of homemade yogurt. After fighting through unethical amounts of traffic, we were able to make the trip in about six hours (it should have taken two and a half at the most, but what the heck, that's practically a blistering pace for my family). While driving, my Dad and I had the "Fun Car" [meaning we weren't the suckers that got stuck in the car with the tape deck], so we were able to rock out to things such as "The Beatles: 1962-1970" Parts 1-3, Swedish acapella, and the Andrews Sisters. Good times.

Upon reaching the house, we learned that not only was it NOT a "short drive from the beach" [as was promised in the description], it was also on the third floor of the building [meaning getting the strollers down to the street was a SCREAM]. But, the interior definitely made up for it, as well as its handy closeness to a golf course, the pool/tennis courts, and a park that the kids fell in love with. The inside was nice; because of my unmarried status, I slept on a couch that pulled out into a trundle bed [I kept the trundle packed away for the sake of convenience]. Good gravy, the benefits of having my MRS are piling up faster than the Italian soccer team's dirty sweat socks.

The week became a lovely blur of activities including
beach going, tennis playing, Fractured Prune eating, Olympic watching [GO PHELPS!], Wii playing until the wee hours of the morning, and, of course, Edward Cullen-ing. I finished Eclipse on the way to the beach, and was quite pleased to discover that Bonny had brought Breaking Dawn with her. I basically brought it everywhere, trying to finish it before her. I know that I was totally down on Twilight [which, in my defense, is still a cruddy book, as is New Moon], but I legitimately semi-enjoyed Eclipse. I will give Mizz Meyer credit for writing an enjoyable book in the form of Breaking Dawn. If Bella had been a vampire all along instead of a stupid whiny teenage girl, I might have enjoyed the series just a little bit more.

Anyway, vacation was splendid. Getting to spend time with the fam [including the boys, even if I did have to kick them out of my room every five minutes] is always a blast, as it getting to experience a brand new set of couches for a week [I love a good couch]. While I do prefer winter vacations, I do like a good summer getaway from time to time [minus the sand].

Because I don't feel like detailing every second of every day we were there, I hope this will suffice. Be sure to tune in next time as I explain the intricacies and magic that is COMMANDO.

Until then,

--Gwen
posted by Gwennifer at 10:24 PM |



1 Comments:

At 5:46 PM, Blogger Abby said........
Way too funny. And quit writing in yellow. I'm tired of having to highlight specific words just to find out what you wrote like I'm decoding a damn Nancy Drew secret message.